In Easy Dental, you can assign insurance to a patient as either a subscriber or a dependent. Assigning plans correctly is important! Doing it wrong will almost certainly ensure that the claim will be denied, leading to a longer wait to be paid for your work.
To assign primary insurance to a patient:
- In the Patients module, select the Insurance tab.
- In the Primary Dental Insurance block, click the search button.
- If other family members have already been assigned as subscribers to insurance plans, you’ll see a drop-down list showing those patients and plans. If the selected patient should be assigned as a dependent to one of these insurance plans, select that plan now.
- If this patient is a subscriber to a new insurance plan, you can search for the carrier name, group plan name (or number), assigned employer, or the payor ID in the search bar. When you see the plan in the search results, select it.
- Assign the patient’s Subscriber ID, Relationship to the Subscriber, and select the Signature on File option(s) according to your office’s policies.
- Click the green checkmark to save this plan.
Here are a few important things to remember:
- The insurance subscriber and dependents need to be part of the same family unit.
- The insurance subscriber and the guarantor do not have to be the same person. The billing statements are sent in the guarantor’s name, but any family member (or multiple members) can be insurance subscribers.
- An insurance subscriber does not need to be a patient, but they must have a patient record created within the same family (their status can be set to non-patient), so in situations of divorced or split families, for instance, it may be necessary to create a duplicate patient file with a non-patient status in multiple families.
- Assign primary insurance to the subscriber first, and then assign it to his or her dependents.
- If the insurance plan has not been set up yet in Easy Dental, click the Create New Entity button, select New Insurance, and then enter the insurance plan details.