Easy Dental ePrescribe automates the process of writing and electronically transmitting prescriptions to pharmacies while also helping to detect drugs that might aggravate your patients’ medical diagnoses. For instance, if you know that a patient has had a stroke or has atrial fibrillation, you wouldn’t want to prescribe a drug that might increase blood pressure. With ePrescribe, such dangerous interactions are automatically flagged before you can complete the prescription process, but only if the patients’ medical diagnoses have been entered into ePrescribe.
Use these steps to enter a patient’s medical diagnoses into ePrescribe:
- From any patient-specific Easy Dental module, select a patient.
- As an authorized ePrescribe user, open the Prescriptions module and click the Electronic Rx button.
- Click None entered from the Act. Problems line.
- Click the Add Diagnosis button.
- Enter a date when the diagnosis was first noticed or reported if different from today’s date.
- Clear the Active check box if the diagnosis is worth entering but is no longer an active diagnosis, such as COVID-19.
- In the Search field, enter a diagnosis, click the Go button, and scroll through the list (if needed) and select the diagnosis you want.
- To save your selection, click Save.
- Repeat steps 4 – 8 to add more diagnoses.
- When all medical diagnoses have been entered and saved, click Back to return to ePrescribe’s main page.
Once the medical diagnoses have been entered for the patient, the active diagnoses will display in the Act. Problems line as a reminder of the patient’s diagnoses when you prescribe medications.
If there are any contraindications for the drug(s) you are attempting to prescribe, with regards to the patient’s medical diagnoses, ePrescribe displays a warning message. Heed the message and consider prescribing another drug.
You can also access the patient’s Act. Problems window from the Schedule module.
- Open the Schedule module.
- Click the Electronic Rx Task Mode button.
- Select a patient and follow the steps above to enter the patient’s medical diagnoses.
- It’s good practice to enter your patient’s medical diagnoses into ePrescribe before creating electronic prescriptions so ePrescribe can double-check drugs that you are attempting to prescribe that might aggravate the patient’s medical diagnoses.
- It’s also good practice to periodically confirm known medical diagnoses with your patients while creating their electronic prescriptions.
- You can assign medical alerts, such as allergies and medical conditions to patients in Easy Dental; however, these do not transfer to ePrescribe and vice versa.
- If a patient has many medical diagnoses, all of them will not be displayed in the Act. Problems line, and a MORE button will display. Click it to view all of the patient’s medical diagnoses.
- For more information about electronic prescriptions, read Creating Electronic Prescriptions in Easy Dental Help.